photo NavIG_zpsuzzqczjq.png photo NavPin_zpsmv1krymf.png photo NavCon_zpsgrwsrtkn.png



Thursday, August 17, 2017

Help! Sleep Regression?!

Stephanie Rose Photography
For all of my friends (and familiar readers around here), if I have ever annoyed you with my "Grayson sleeps like a champ! 12+ hours EVERY night. Just goes down without a problem! He asks to go to bed! He moved to the Big Boy Bed and nothing changed! He's done great!" Don't you worry, Karma came rearing its ugly head.


Let me backtrack a bit before Carter was born we started to let G stay up later. It was "summer", I wanted extra snuggles with my first born, etc. Then Carter came. Still no issues when it was time for bed. We went to the lake two weeks after C was born, and G was upstairs alone and had a freak out, but went to sleep. All good.


Got home after that trip and he started waking in the middle of the night, coming to the gate and yelling/crying for us to come up. Once we came upstairs, he would go directly to bed, no problem. This could happen once at night, or multiple times, but not every night. Fast forward to now, and the mid-night wake ups have stopped, but fighting to go to bed has started and 5:00 am (or earlier!) wake up calls.


I've entertained his "one more book" requests, "one more song", sat outside of his bedroom door Super Nanny style taking him right back to his bed, given him the silent treatment, etc. Some nights it can last an hour when he's feeling persistent. Although, the length of fighting it has become shorter and shorter - thankfully. Sometimes we have alligator tears and other times no tears at all.


Naptime at school is no problem at all. he sleeps the full 2 hours and say sometimes they have to wake him up to continue the day. Weekends are hit or miss depending on what we are doing.


I have bought the "ok to wake" clock, which we have not started using yet, but I feel like the waking early is the least of my concerns. I would rather tackle the issues of going to bed and the nighttime wakings.


At Carter's 2 month appointment we mentioned to the pediatrician the waking up (he hadn't started the protesting going to sleep part yet) and he mentioned for his older patients that have that problem he does sleep coupons that are given to them before bed and if they do a good job can be turned into Mom and Dad in the morning. Once "x" amount are collected there is some kind of prize - whatever you would want that to be. But he said he thought Gray was too young to understand/reason with this concept. And if the problem got worse to call and we could come up with a plan.


I have my friend, Sarah, making us sleep coupons. Its worth a shot. Kid loves Dumbo. And Popcorn. And laying in Mama & Daddy's bed. All things I can easily make happen on a Friday night if he turns in his coupons.


I've read 2 year sleep regression is real. I have also read that around this age their imaginations are much more vivid making dreams/nightmares happen more often. This age is also more in tune with feelings and emotions. Knowing "good guys" from "bad guys" which makes fear an emotion they begin to feel rather than being so carefree.


I have not called the pedi yet, even though the situation has gotten worse. But I am calling to you, Mommy/Daddy friends, grandparents, babysitters, nannies... any tricks? Tell me what has worked for you! With going back to work right around the corner, and Carter only waking once at night, this house could use easy bedtimes and more sleep at night!

12 comments:

  1. I just want to give you a big virtual hug. Losing sleep and dealing with sleep issues is the absolute worst. I'm sorry; I don't have any advice (my only child is almost four and still in a crib because I am scared to rock the boat!). Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feeeeeel YOU!!! My 8 year old, yes, EIGHT YEAR OLD, still wakes me up every.single.night. to come sleep with him. I am ashamed to admit for a few years (insert shameface emoji)because I would get a full nights sleep! I NEED sleep. blissful, uninterrupted sleep.
    I don't say this to scare you, ha! Just letting you know you are not alone. I even emailed WeeSleep I saw on instagram for advice. I am that desperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I am not glad that you aren't sleeping, but definitely glad to know I am not alone!

      Delete
  3. Sounds exactly like what happened with my daughter! She was an amazingggg sleeper so much so that we switched her to a toddler bed at 18 months. She did awesome until her baby brother came home from the hospital. Idk if it was bc she started hearing us wake up in the middle of the night or what but all of a sudden she would start playing or getting out of bed multiple times once we put her down. We ended up putting her back in the crib bc it became so exhausting! I follow a few good sleep experts on Instagram: takingcarababies and sleepandthecity.. they usually have good tips and also offer consultations! Good luck mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look them up! My friend said that this was probably his way to control something with all the change happening with Carter's arrival - little siblings are ruining all of their alone time!

      Delete
  4. There's his lady in canada...I know it's crazy...her name is Pam and she's a pediatric sleep consultant. We have stuck to her plan since my son was 7 months old and he sleeps through the night no problems. Her company is called Wee Bee Dreaming. We LOvE her and she has sleep plans for infants to age 5! Please at least contact her. She's super quick about getting back with her clients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happened to my current 7-year-old when he was 2 as well, and he was also my champion sleeper up until that point. If I recall correctly, it lasted about 6 months, but he did eventually go back to being a great sleeper. It should pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I forgot to add--his little sister is almost exactly 2 years younger than him, and it happened around that time. I think part of it may have been that he knew she was still up at that time.

      Delete
    2. thank you! little siblings definitely disrupt their little lives -- hopefully it will be quick!

      Delete
  6. Your go-to resource for the newest trends in health and lifestyle is Healthy Life Human. Get the most recent information on how to live a healthier life from our experts. Begin today to live the best life possible!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover