Monday, June 6, 2011

Wedding Days: Just When You Think Its Over...

Once the wedding is over, you get home from your honeymoon, and things get back to normal - Life Is GOOD!

Then one day you check the mail and your marriage license is back and all official. Exciting Day! Until you realize you now have what you need to start making that name change.

This realization happened to me a few weeks ago. And I literally didnt know where to start and I have been putting it off. Finally I decided it was time to bite the bullet and figure this out. After lots of googling I found this gem on The Nest (The sister site to The Knot. And just like The Knot, there are great resources and a lot of useless stuff on there).

So here, to all my friends who just got married, are getting married or ever plan on being married someday, are the steps to take care of the BIG name change and hopefully will help to fix your identity crisis.

Please join me in my little adventure and hopefully this to-do list is helpful for all of us!

Make sure that your wedding officiant mails in your signed marriage license ASAP so you receive your marriage certificate. You’ll need this certificate (or in some cases, just a copy of it) to apply for a name change.

Get a new Social Security card (you’ll need your marriage certificate). Go to
Get a new driver’s license (you’ll need to bring your new SS card and marriage certificate).
Mail in your passport (with a new photo) for an updated one. Go to
Alert voter registration at Click “Register to Vote” and then check the box that says you are changing your name.

Change your bank account and order new checks.
Change your credit cards (even ones from retail stores).
Update any stocks, IRAs, mortgages, leases, or money market accounts.
Order an annual credit report to make sure all old accounts are closed—and that no one is opening accounts using your maiden name. Go to

Change HR paperwork at your office, get a new email address, and alert your contacts of the change.
Update insurance cards and policies
Change your name on utility bills, like cable, gas, and your cell phone.
Contact alumni associations, gyms, and other organizations you belong to.

What you need to know
Make sure the name (maiden, hyphenated, or hybrid) you’d like to use is on your marriage certificate; otherwise, you’ll need to get a new marriage license issued to get the name you want!
::I didn't know this little fact, so here's to hoping I havent lost my Middle Name!::

If I run into any troubles, I'll be sure to update you all, but hopefully with this check list, it'll be smooth sailing.... FINGERS CROSSED!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover